Kohlrabi Carrot Fritters with Avocado Cream Sauce
Contributed by: Recipe found on aCoupleCooks.com
Time: 15+15 mins
Healthy vegetarian and gluten-free snacks, or perfect canapés for a finger-food occasion.
For the kohlrabi fritters
- 2 Kohlrabi
- 1 Carrot
- 1 Egg
- ¼ teaspoon Salt
- ¼ teaspoon Cayenne
- ½ cup Vegetable oil (enough for ¼-inch depth in a large skillet)
For the avocado cream
- ½ Avocado
- ¼ cup plain Yoghurt
- ½ Lemon
- ¼ teaspoon Salt
- Spring onion top (for garnish)
Food processor with a shredding disk (not essential but saves hand grating)
- Cut the leaves off the kohlrabi and peel the bulb. Peel 1 carrot. Shred the vegetables in a food processor, or by hand using a grater.
- Squeeze the shredded vegetables in a tea cloth (or with your hands) to remove moisture, then add to a medium bowl with the egg, salt, and cayenne. Mix to combine.
- Place the oil in a large skillet (enough for 1/4-inch depth). Heat the oil over medium high heat, then place small patties of the fritter mixture into the oil. Fry on one side until browned, then fry on the other side. Remove and place on a plate lined with a paper towel to drain excess oil.
- For the dipping sauce: Remove the avocado pit and scoop out the flesh with a spoon. In a small bowl, mix the avocado, plain yogurt, lemon juice, and kosher salt to make the avocado cream (or blend the ingredients together in a food processor).
- To serve as canapés, slice the spring onions diagonally and place atop a small dollop of avocado cream on each fritter.
Notes: These fritters are best eaten warm the day of making; they don’t save well. Like anything made with avocado, the avocado cream sauce will become brown after exposure to air, so make sure to cover the surface when storing. (A flat lettuce leaf pressed onto the surface is a good alternative to plastic wrap.)